Sunday, May 21, 2006

A Winning Strategy

It's a lot like the first day of school. Spiffed out in your shinies, hair parted just so, you stride out with the empowering words of Mom running through your head. Somewhere along the way, it begins to break down. The stomach goes all aflutter. Your breath has a funny cadence, and suddenly your legs seem to jerk like a marionette. Will the cool kids like me?

Lunch hour comes, and you plop next to someone who looks like they may be friendly. Unfolding your brown bag, out comes sandwich (cut on the diagonal), carrots, apple. At the very bottom of the bag- two glorious, fat, chocolate-chip cookies. With a grin, glancing slyly at your table-mate, you offer a cookie towards her. "I have too much- you want it?" She smiles, and accepts. "My name's Mandy," she murmurs through chocolatey crumbs.

So recently, I went walking into my new part-time job. While it's not exactly my first visit, it would be my first time really being part of the team. Thinking of that long ago schoolday, I'd spent the previous day browsing through a cookbook of tried-and true recipes. Cookies have always been a favourite, especially since so many of the ingredients tend to be in my cupboard at any given time.

Finally, my eyes rested upon "Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chunk" cookies. A killer combination, heavy on the peanut butter, and liberally laced with quality bittersweet chocolate. I was certain it would break down barriers, and drum up confidence. Did it work?
I'd certainly say so. Holla!


Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies

adapted from Recipezaar's PetitFour

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup ap flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
11.5 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips or bittersweet chocolate chunks

Cream the butters together until completely incorporated. Add sugar, cream on medium. Add the egg and vanilla, mix together. Add the flour, baking soda and salt; mix until no white remains, then add the chocolate and hand mix until everything comes together. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto parchment lined baking sheets, and bake at 350-degrees for 9-11 minutes.

13 Comments:

Blogger iamchanelle said...

i'd say you are so IN. FOREVER.

wow, those look great! smart woman.

:0)

May 22, 2006 10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peanut butter and chocolate have won me many friends too! Those look so so so good.

May 22, 2006 1:17 PM  
Blogger nosheteria said...

Cookie persuasion...good idea! I have no one to persuade, but these cookies look too good to pass up.

May 22, 2006 1:49 PM  
Blogger Deetsa said...

Great intro. I'll be your friend if you'll give me some ;-) LOL

May 22, 2006 9:32 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

You are totally one of the cool kids. You may actually now be the leader of the cool kids club. You've got BFF

May 23, 2006 5:36 AM  
Blogger wheresmymind said...

Those would last about a night in our house ;)

May 23, 2006 7:23 AM  
Blogger Ruth Daniels said...

Great post, great cookies and who wouldn't want to be your friend!

Thanks for sharing

May 23, 2006 9:05 AM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Smart move, my friend. I started my new job about 7 months ago and brought in a couple of batches of peanut brittle. I was in like Flynn. Some people didn't even catch my name and they just call me "peanut brittle"-- hey, at least they talk to me...

May 23, 2006 10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Argh!!! I want some of those now!!!!!

May 23, 2006 7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can come be my parttime co-worker ANYTIME s'kat!

May 23, 2006 9:12 PM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. We all know that Mom's know best anyway!

And Backyard Chef, "Peanut Brittle". Hilarious.

May 24, 2006 7:25 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

I managed to scarf up two -- and tried hard not to feel guilty when others came by asking where the cookies had all gone. Dee-friggin'-licious! Next time bring milk. Organic 2 percent, if you please!

;)

May 24, 2006 7:55 AM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Scott, I'm glad you got to mack on the goods. Next time, I'll know to bring more, no matter what DucCat says.

(Something along the lines of, "Honey, you're baking all those cookies, and not leaving ANY here!?! Don't you love me?)

And hey, if I bring the cookies, I think somebody else should bring the milk. *cough*cough*

May 24, 2006 5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter a long URL to make tiny: