Friday, May 26, 2006

My First Weekend Herb Blogging Post

Now that I have some herbs kicking again, I figure it's time to finally join in the fun and festivities- thank you, Ilva, for graciously hosting this weekend.
Now, for the herbage:


Parsley. Frequently used as a garnish, unless you hail from Argentina, where it steps into the starring role of national condiment: chimichurri.

Like many points of pride, the ingredients vary from kitchen to kitchen. Typically, it contains parsley, peppery spices, and enough garlic to keep the vampires far away. Piquant and vibrant, it's the perfect partner for grilled meats, which is just how I used it.




Chimichurri

1 cup fresh parsley
2 large cloves garlic
3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
juice of 1/2 lemon
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
pinch red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 good grinds of black pepper
5 cherry tomatoes (add at the very last, so you can still see chunks of tomato)

Place all ingredients in food processor, and pulse until emulsified and thick. Be certain to taste and adjust as necessary. Make at least one hour before using, but keep in mind, this gets better the longer it sits.

s'kat's notes: This recipe is adapted from 'Eating Well' Magazine. I believe I added a touch more oil than they called for, which is not reflected in this rendition, so be certain to taste it! This tastes really 'green' initially. In time, it mellows and grows in complexity. While I've used it here to slather on meat, it would also be great as a marinade, dipping sauce, or on sandwiches.

12 Comments:

Blogger Ilva said...

I'm happy that you have joined the WHB! And this sounds wonderful, I will absolutely try it soon!

May 26, 2006 8:50 AM  
Blogger wheresmymind said...

What does the wine glass say? My wife (who is a bigger wine fan than moi) always uses a 'Firestone winery' glass for her everyday wine drinkin' ;)

May 26, 2006 9:09 AM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Thanks, Ilva. I was a little nervous about posting this recipe, since it's one of those things where you taste and tinker, until you get it just right.

wmm- I think that was a tasting glass from an event- possibly the Garlic Festival/Amherst Winery?

May 26, 2006 9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

s'kat, this looks really good - I can almost smell/taste the fresh parsley!

May 26, 2006 10:31 AM  
Blogger iamchanelle said...

yum yum yum!!!! are those the rest of the cherry tomatoes, roasted on the side? looks great!

May 26, 2006 12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm...yum. I can imagine that sauce with all manner of things...

I don't have any parsley growing; I wonder if cilantro would be too overpowering?

May 26, 2006 2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love parsley. I think we take it for granted, but it adds a wonderful note to a dish. Your chimichurri, and the rest of the meal, looks delicious.

May 26, 2006 5:07 PM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Welcome to WHB. Chimichurri is something I've been wanting to try for a while, and yours sounds wonderful.

May 26, 2006 6:05 PM  
Blogger krysten said...

ah! another use for the monster parsley bush in my yard! Thanks!! I need a change from tabouli...

May 26, 2006 11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, that looks fantastic! And our tastes are completely on the same wavelength: I just posted my chimichurri recipe last week! http://candiedquince.ca/archives/104

May 27, 2006 9:52 AM  
Blogger Deetsa said...

I wonder if The Frog would eat chimichurri. Maybe I'll half the recipe and try it out on him. If I do, I'll let you know what Mr. Picky-About-His-Sauces thinks

May 28, 2006 12:07 PM  
Blogger Ruth Daniels said...

S'kat - great minds think alike. I too love chimichurri and just blogged about it last week. It's especially perfect post for this time of year - BBQ season that is.

Thanks for sharing.

May 30, 2006 8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter a long URL to make tiny: